May 13, 2020
Dear parents, seniors, and families,
After careful consideration and conversations with our students, parents, and teachers, we have made the decision to hold school-based “drive-up” graduations for the class of 2020. These alternative graduation experiences will take place during the week of May 18-May 22. We plan to also hold traditional graduation ceremonies in July as long as social distancing restrictions are lifted and the Centers for Disease Control advises that it is safe to hold large gatherings. We anticipate making a decision about whether to hold traditional ceremonies in early June.
In our conversations with representatives from the class of 2020, students identified the three most important elements of a graduation ceremony that they would want to re-create within current health and safety restrictions:
- wearing their cap and gown;
- picking up their diploma in person; and
- turning the tassel on their mortarboards.
While we all hope to hold a traditional celebration, the modified “drive-up” graduation will incorporate the elements that matter most to our seniors. This is not, of course, how any of us expected to celebrate the class of 2020, but our school leaders, class sponsors, teachers, and staff are looking forward to creating a meaningful experience for our graduates even if it’s from a safe distance! We will also be creating a keepsake video for each graduate that will include graduation speech videos and photos of students plus providing fun memorabilia to commemorate their graduation.
I have included the graduation schedule below, and you will receive detailed information (where precisely to go and when) from your child’s school by Friday, May 15. We are also continuing to post updates on our website at www.tulsaschools.org/seniors.
Tuesday, May 19
- Webster High School (1919 W. 40th St.) from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- East Central High School (12150 E. 11 St.) from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Wednesday, May 20
- Booker T. Washington High School (1514 E. Zion St.) from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Will Rogers College High (3909 E. 5th Pl.) from 3 p.m. to 7 p.m
- Central High School (3101 W. Edison St.) from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Thursday, May 21
- McLain High School (4929 N. Peoria Ave.) from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Nathan Hale High School (6960 E. 21st St.) from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- Memorial High School (5840 S. Hudson Ave.) from 4 p.m. to 7:45 p.m.
Friday, May 22
- Tulsa Learning Academy (525 E. 46th St. N.) from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Phoenix Rising (3441 E Archer St) from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Tulsa MET (6201 E. Virgin St.) from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Edison Preparatory High School (2906 E. 41st St.) from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Deborah A. Gist